People-mover

My sister and I just got back from an amazing two week trip to Italy and Greece. It was wonderful and exhausting and life-changing. We had a blast!
I find enough fun typos and misuse of words in the United States so you can imagine how entertained I was in foreign countries. Translation errors are even worse when it comes to English. Basically, I can narrate our entire trip in hilarious public signs, brochures, and other terrible typos. Buckle in, readers.

We didn't even make it out of the Venice airport before I found the first one. We had to take a train around the airport to get from our arrival gate to baggage claim. Except the sign had translated the word "train" a bit too literally...


That's right. We rode a "people mover." We were the people and we were indeed moved. 
The funniest signs are the ones that aren't wrong exactly. You couldn't point it out to the airport staff and explain to them how it's wrong to say a train moves people. 
We laughed pretty hard at this sign but in their defense, it's hard to get any sign in English exactly right.
Because welcome to the English language.

Comments