Should I list good grammar as a positive quality in my tinder bio?

     In our wonderful modern world with all of its technological advances and gadgets to make life easier, one activity has not benefited from such modern advances.
     Dating.
     Now before you think I'm gonna go all old person rant on you, think again. Technology has ruined dating for me because of the frankly ridiculous grammar that I've seen on various dating apps.
     Let's start with Tinder. Even the most basic dating app, reputation for hook-ups aside, has countless users who don't know the difference between you're and your. I can't tell you how many boys have started a conversation with the words: "Hi! Your really pretty."
     ...my really pretty what? This question plagues me every time a boy starts with this. It's happened so many times that the error has worked its way into my dreams. I have nightmares echoing with the words "your really pretty" where I have to finish the sentence. My pretty what? My pretty what??
     Mostly I just unmatch those guys... unless they're really cute.
     This wouldn't be a problem for dating twenty years ago. A boy would come up to me and say "your really pretty" and I wouldn't be able to tell if he was using the correct form of your/you're. I wouldn't know because it would just be spoken. I ache to have the blissful ignorance of dating twenty years ago.
     It isn't all bad, though. Some boys capitalize on this opportunity to show off correct grammar. My favorite example of this was the boy who took a chance using a semicolon in his bio. I mean, who uses semi-colons anymore? They're even harder to use correctly than your/you're (or the word literally for that matter). I favor them in essays, but in a bio for a dating app? But this boy did it and he did it correctly.
     I've never swiped right faster.
     A language where correct use of semi-colons is sexy?
     Welcome to the English Language.

Comments